Sunday, October 11, 2009

Getting them all to face the right direction!


I feel as though it has been quite some time since my last post.  Well, that is because I make a promise to myself to commit to posting daily.  As a writer, I have made such promises to myself before.  Every time I do, something interferes, oh yeah, LIFE! 

Over the past couple of weeks I have encountered some hurdles.  To begin, one of my kids sustained a concussion during an athletic game.  My husband and I were present at the game and monitored the situation.  We allowed our child to play another game and even over time.  It wasn't until the hours following that the pain intensified and so began the incredible amount of facial swelling and bruising.  Our kid is beyond a trooper!  I believe the coach refers to it as "True Grit!".  I sat outside in the lobby as one of my babies entered those big, cold doors to have a CT Scan when the doctor revealed that there was a cause for much concern.  As a mom, I felt punched in the gut!  I held it together for my child who was in severe pain! 

Thankfully, we received the magnificent news that the injury was only external and internally everything was great!  My husband and I stayed home for a few days carpooling the others to and from school as we nursed the concussed child back to health.  I thought that I'd have time to write, but no such time ever made itself known to me.  My focus was on my family and I felt the need to nest, remain at home with my family as we ate comfort food and noticed the weather begin to show signs of cooling.  That made the days better, for we just adore the cool weather, actually the cold!  We pulled on our sweats and ate homemade stew in a bread bowl.  Some days I found myself completely exhausted by 6 in the evening.  I even fell asleep at 6:30 one evening when my kids had all eaten, bathed, and went to their rooms to relax for the night. 

My child fully recovered and discovered how many teachers, coaches, friends, teammates, as well as older players of the sport really were concerned for my kiddo.  Cards, flowers, emails, phones calls, and texts were all sent during that tough week.  I finally had a moment where I broke down in tears and said a prayer of great thanks for our blessings!  Still, I was not able to write.

During this time I also had moments where I felt as though I had to explain myself far too many times than I ever allow myself to.  It was almost as if there was something in the air.  This was not with someone in my family so I could've just walked away from the whole thing, right?  No, because I learned when confronted with such a challenge that what I was encountering was important!  Just when I was about to give up, I received a very poignant email.  It was not a personal email, but more of a thought-for-the-day type of thing.  It said to persevere with my dreams, despite the obstacles that have shown up recently.  "WHAT!"  It continued on to say to try to see the best in the person that was sent to help me regardless of the extra challenges that they seemed to present at the moment.  It was truly one of those moments when I looked behind me to see if my angels or deceased relatives were actually standing beside me!  Later that day, I was contacted by people that I had given up on and discovered that opportunities are still available!  Deep down I knew they were, but sometimes a little nudge is needed to get us over those extra-rough weeks! 

I decided not to give up on certain opportunites and push myself to expand out of my usual comfort zone! 

I have been in contact lately with other bloggers and aspiring writers and listened to them discuss their challenges of finding time to write daily, especially blog.  How does one find time to do it all and then, BLOG about it at the end of the day?  Well, that's the million dollar question!  It's not just a challenge for mommies or married couples, anyone with any amount of life has to learn to find the time.  I have come to learn that I need to be disciplined and allow me the time to write...for me!  It is my dream, but as soon as I need gas in the car, laundry needs to be done, or the home needs to be vacuumed I give up my desires to sit and write.  After speaking to so many wonderful writers this week, I didn't even have to share my dilemmas, I discovered that in this moment in time I am not alone.  Many of us are struggling to "get it all in"! 

I forced myself to write a post a few days ago, but it was not real.  I forced it too much and I found myself struggling to punch each key.  I opted not to post and instead decided to step away from my blog.  I wasn't exactly sure what to do, but I knew I needed to get re-energized!  That's exactly what has happened.  I began working on a collaborative effort.  I celebrated life with my family and in one crazy second, I found incredible inspiration for another three books.  I am loving the projects I am working on.  Just a few moments ago I agreed to work with two authors for some upcoming projects. 

How does anyone do it all?  I don't know, but for me it means having the love and support of family and friends!  I need to have all of my turtles moving along in the same direction.  Sometimes one might get distracted and start to veer off the path, but with a little nudge that turtle can turn around and re-focus!  Your turtles may represent any number of things from family, friends, health, finances, work, education and some may hold bigger meaning or value than others.  Whatever your turtles mean to you...I hope that they move along their path with ease...for your sake! 

Wishing you dreams to fulfill and the inspiration needed to do so!
~the sol within~
      Anna

Give it a listen!  The songs that inspired this post:
~Lost by Coldplay
~It's Tricky by Run DMC
~Hold On Tight (To Your Dreams) by Electric Light Orchestra
And For My Child...
~Lean On Me by Bill Withers
~Wonder by Natalie Merchant

No comments:

Post a Comment